Community Events are created and lead by you. They can be campaigns or fundraiser with your friends, neighbours, co-workers or family. A lot of community groups also enjoy creating awareness fundraising campaigns to create learning opportunities around violence against women and the work of Ernestine’s Women's Shelter. Everyone has their own story or knows someone who has gone through violence and abuse. This is a great opportunity to take the lead in organizing a Community Event where your donation of funds and items have a direct impact.
Create an event or fundraiser anyway you like - from donations at your birthday party, a school BBQ, to neighbourhood garage sale. Let your imagination and creativity guide you to the many ways you can raise funds to support Ernestine’s. You can do your part locally and bring awareness and champion for women and children fleeing abusive situations by supporting Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter. At Ernestine’s, this is the heart of our work. We see the result of violence every day – physically and emotionally scarred women who live in fear of their lives and traumatized children who are shaken to their very core.
Community Fundraising Toolkit: Click here for the toolkit
Here are just some ideas:
1) Provide a safe haven to shelter women and her children fleeing from abuse with room and meals
2) Staff our 24-hour emergency crisis line to advise and support women and children at varying points of need and develop safety plans
3) Counsel and support women dealing with abuse and provide transitional services to secure independent and safe housing and living arrangements.
4) Provide specialized counselling for children and youth who have witnessed violence.
5) Advocate, educate, and connect within the Rexdale community to build awareness on issue of violence against women and what support is available.
It is only by working together can we break the cycle of violence. Now, more than ever, we need the community to come together to say no to violence against women.
Remember, when you share why Ernestine’s and ending violence against women is important to you through a gathering or an event, you just might be saving a life. Not only will we provide you materials and templates to help with your event, we will also provide critical information such as recognizing signs of abuse and where to get help.
Contact Khadija Kathy Ali, Coordinator, Engagement and Volunteers at email@example.com and let us know if you have an idea. We’d love to hear from you!
Crisis 416.746.3701 / TTY 416.746.3716
of the cases of sexual abuse involving disabled people are ever reported to the police, community service agencies, or other authorities.